Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Crunching the Numbers

(Published in the Stephenville (Texas) Empire-Tribune October 4, 2011)

I am a math teacher. Math is an important subject and I enjoy teaching it, but I probably have the heart and soul of an English teacher. I love to read and write. I read everything I can get my hands on, and my idea of a fun evening is curling up with a warm laptop to write an essay. But maybe it’s my love of readin’ and writin’ that’s been interfering with my ‘rithmetic. Lately, I’ve had trouble making certain numbers add up.
Take the number 15 for example; it’s a nice number. The Texas economy is the 15th largest economy in the world. That means that if our secesh governor had his way, Texas would briefly be the 15th wealthiest nation in the world. (I say “briefly” because our economy would quickly collapse from the loss of all those federal dollars.) Despite our high unemployment (8.4%) and budget deficits ($27 billion), Texas is still a great state with vast wealth and resources.

Now take the number 50; it’s not so nice. I can’t reconcile the number 15 with the number 50.Texas ranks 50th in the United States in spending per student on education. Fiftieth? How can our great state, with all its resources, be dead last in providing education for its children? It doesn’t add up.
Here are some other examples of the number 50.Texas ranks 50th in the nation in spending per person on all services (education, healthcare, infrastructure, etc.). And we are 50th in the number of people under age 25 who have high school diplomas.

A few other noteworthy numbers include 47, our ranking on student SAT scores. Texas is 4th in the nation in teen pregnancy rates. We are number one in the percentage of jobs that pay minimum wage. And, most disturbing of all, we are number one in the growth rate of children in poverty.
Speaking of poverty, did you know that nearly one out of every four Texas children is living below the poverty line? Did you also know that one out of every ten children in Texas is living in extreme poverty? (The World Bank defines extreme poverty as living on $1.25 or less per day.) Given our growth rate in poverty, our children won’t have to worry about corporations exporting jobs to third world countries. We are creating one right here in Texas.

There is no cure-all for all of our problems, but education comes close. I can’t think of a better way out of poverty than a good education. With all of our wealth and resources, Texas can, and should be number one in education.
At least we can rejoice that we are number one in football.

P.S. My math students needn’t be concerned. I still find relaxation in working through a nice Calculus problem.
P.P.S. Please visit the Save Texas Schools website (www.savetxschools.org) and sign the pledge to support Texas schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment